1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

    About Us

    ImageT

    he municipality of Santa Lucia is located along the western coast of Northern Luzon and lies on the Southern part of the province of Ilocos Sur. It is bounded on the North by the City of Candon, on the East by the Municipality of Salcedo, on the South by the Municipality of Santa Cruz and on the West by the China Sea. It is 69.3 kilometers south of the City of Vigan, the provincial capital, 70 kilometers from San Fernando City, the regional capital and 338 kilometers north of Manila.

    Political Subdivision


    Sta. Lucia has thirty six (36) barangays. There are four (4) urban barangays, five (5) coastal barangays and twenty seven eastern barangays. It has a total land area of 4700.8545 hectares and a population of 24,048 (2005 census).

    Religious


    Santa Lucia Church provides spiritual haven to devotees of St. Lucy, popularly known as Apo Baket. Especially admired for its cross structural form with a dome, the architectural style of the church gives much pride to residents. The structure has stood the test of time as it proudly welcomes devotees within the town and even from neighboring and distant municipalities. Religious activities particularly the Feast of Apo Baket on December 13 is flocked by throngs of devotees. Yearly processions are held specifically during the Lenten Season and Flores de Mayo, enough reason for balikbayans to come home just to witness religious activities and primarily to give thanks for their granted petitions.

    Fiesta and Festivals


    Fiesta celebration has become an integral part of the religious and culture heritage of every town in the Philippines. From November to December, Town of Sta. Lucia celebrates Town Fiesta. Enumerated as follows are the highlights of the Fiesta Celebration:

    1. Sports Festival - it is an interdistrict and interagency sports competition to include basketball, badminton, motocross invitational and boxing tournament.

    2. COMEDIA - it is a satiric Ilocano drama/ play presented every 12th and 13th day of December. Some of the partakers are municipal employees and the rest are from NGOs.

    3. Search for Mr. & Miss SK/Got Talent – this activity sponsored by the SK and highlighted during the Sk night.

    4. Day Care Festival - participated by the Daycare Children of the Municipality.

    5. Dep. Ed. Day and Night – participated by school officials, teachers and students/pupils.

    6. Municipal and Brgy. Night - it is the night among municipal officials and employees and of course Barangay Officials who are primarily sponsoring this night.

    7. Balikbayan, NGO and Senior Citizens’ Night – participated by balikbayans who come home yearly to grace the occasion, the accredited NGO’s of the Municipality and the Senior Citizens.

    8. Sto Nino Festival-this celebration is done in honor of the Infant Jesus. This is done every last week of January.

    9. Street Dancing – it features the OTOP of the Town (Peanut) participate4d by different schools in the municipality.

    10. Trade Fair-it is a way to display the performance of Sta. Lucians through products out of food processing (e.g. peanut, fish, puto etc.). There are also Sta. Lucians engaging in furniture making business out of woods and indigenous materials.

    11. Grand Parade- it is done every 13th day of December in the morning. This is being participated by all Municipal Officials and Employees, Brgy. Officials and Police Forces, NGOs and Senior Citizens and National Agencies.

    12. Other activities such as SLCS Night and SLA Night conducted separately as part of their foundation day celebration during the month of December.

    Credits to San Josenyong Gala Blog Site for the pictures.

    The Founding

    The town of Santa Lucia formerly called “Kaog or Dumangague” was founded on June, 1572 by Juan de Salcedo. However the first mission was established on January 5, 1586 by the Augustinian friars in whom they called “Ministerio de Kaog”, formerly annexed to the “Ministerio de Candon”. The first “visita” must have been built also in that year. This town was one of the oldest encomiendas in the Philippines. It is reported that in 1591, the encomiendas already had a monastery with two religious to take care of 3, 600 souls. Later in 1671, it became a regular parish under the patronage of Saint Lucy whose feast day is celebrated every 13th of December. The parish was composed of the following missions; Nagtablaan, San Tiburcio, Pias, Atabay, Colliong, Balidbid, Sorioan, Napalit, Arangin and Corrooy, all with a distance of more than two and half hours from the church. It had a sitio of Catechumares called Cub-cubbuot and a barrio called Ronda with more than 6,286 inhabitants.

    Its inhabitants – Christians in the lowlands and various tribes of Non-Christians Igorots in the mountains were farmers who planted rice, corn, sugar, cotton, vegetables and fruits. Due to irrigation coupled with persistent work under the direction of Father Exequiel Lanza Forta, they enjoined two harvest of rice every year. Other industries were fishing, spinning and weaving cotton, salt manufacturing, cattle raising and poultry. Shaped by physical limitations of their environment, the inhabitants were industrious, thrifty and migratory.

    Evangelization of Dumangague or Kaog were done by the Augustinian fathers who tamed the natives and started building edifices which remain to this day a monument to their architectural genius and patience. They succeeded building a one-aisle church with a great transept and a magnificent cupola resembling the St. Peter Basilica at the Holy See in Rome. It was rebuilt completely by Father Pascual Barrameda and Father Manuel Arguellas in 1808 and renovated in 1936. Distinguished for its Quasi-Romanesque, Pseudo Gothic and Bizombinate feature trimmings on the details of the façade and interior. Santa Lucia Church apparently was part of the Neo-Gothic revival that occurred during the late nineteenth and twentieth century’s.

    A big convent was constructed to the northwest church. This was the headquarters of the Katipunan forces commanded by General Manuel Tinio during the revolution. Before the outbreak of the earthquake in July 16, 1990, the convent was used as “home” of the religious order, the Oblates of the Holy Spirit Sisters (OSS) but it was severely damaged by the earthquake.

    For a span of four hundred years, more or less, town residents and people from other towns heard several miracles of Saint Lucy, especially to people suffering from eye ailments were cured. .Accounts of these testimonies by devotees of Saint Lucy can be read in an article published by Bannawag on December 13, 1986 in connection with town’s celebration of its 400th founding anniversary.

    Spanish Colonization to the Philippine Republic

    T

    he early settlements appeared somewhat hazy to how many people were settled in Kaog before Captain Juan de Salcedo discovered the place in his expedition in 1572. However it may seem clear that the early settlers were Bagos or Igorots-people of the mountains, probably half-civilized according to Spanish standards.

    An account by the late Senador Isabelo De Los Reyes, Editor of El Ilocano, and lifted by the late Rev. Fr. Juan Fronda, “The Early Settlements of the Fifth Missionary” (Ilocos Review, Vol. III, Nos. 1 and 2, pp. 11 to 12) states that Captain Salcedo reached Dumangague probably by June, 1572 and found many inhabitants in this place. He discovered the place rich in gold and since Salcedo was well received by the natives of the seacoast, he tried to go deeper in forest place (interior) only to be met by hostile inhabitants under a chieftain named Silita (probably a Bago in G-string) and ambushed Captain Hurtado, one of the subaltern and younger officers of Salcedo. Incensed by the incident, Salcedo left his flagship with more soldiers and succeeded in subjugating Silita. The chief begged for mercy and Salcedo did not only pardon him but also loaded him with gifts, telling him to call his companions and make peace.

    Convince of the sincerity of Salcedo, Silita and his people presented Salcedo with many gifts mush provisions, gold and other precious things which Salcedo gallantly refused, giving impression that he did not come to exploit them. On June 12, 1572 Salcedo’s fleet left Dumangague and by nightfall, it arrived at Caoayan, a town close to Vigan on its northern periphery.

    Under the Spanish colonial policy, the Ilocanos were ordered to cultivate tobacco, indigo, coffee and sugar. Due to the enforcement of unjust taxation and forced labor, the Ilocanos fought the Spaniards during the Philippine Revolution. During the revolution, General Manuel Tinio established his headquarter at the old convent west of the church. The local Katipuneros led by Lt. Evaristo Ramirez and Francisco Pre saw action in Balidbid in 1898 and raided the American Garrison in Salcedo, Ilocos Sur in 1899.

    General Emilio Aguinaldo proclaimed Philippine Independence on June 12, 1898. The Americans colonized the country and military law was enforced in 1898. Captain Paulino Parel (Last Governadorcillo) was executed in 1899 and civilian government was established in 1901. In 1941, thousands of Ilocanos were executed by the Japanese army and likewise experienced hunger and poverty. The people of Santa Lucia fled to the interior parts of the town to escape execution. A part of the Poblacion was burned by the Japanese army. On February 21, 1942 a mass induction of USAFE Forces was done at Nagtablaan by American USAFE officers.

    After the war, the Filipinos started to build the foundation of the new Republic. Santa Lucians preoccupied themselves in the opportunities for development. They planted rice, corn, sugar, native tobacco and other crops, and later Virginia tobacco in 1958. They tried to hasten the pace of development in the municipality with its very limited resources, has been progressing quote well through the cooperative efforts of the leaders and inhabitants.

    History of Santa Lucia

    ImageS
    ANTA LUCIA is one of the oldest towns in the Ilocos Region. It was known as Kaog and Dumangague during the Spanish times, bounded on the east by the interior town of Salcedo, Ilocos Sur “formerly Baugen” and the Cordillera Mountain, on the west by China Sea, on the north by City of Candon and on the south by Sta. Cruz, another town of Ilocos Sur. It has a total land area of 4700.8545 hectares and a population of 28,242 (MSWDO/MBN 2010 Census) scattered among its Thirty-Six (36) barangays. Municipality of Santa Lucia belonged to the 2nd Congressional District of Ilocos Sur.

    The name SANTA LUCIA was given in 1586 by the Augustinian friars in honor of the town’s Patron Saint Lucy through the Ecclesiastical Power of Spain in Manila. But the original name was Kaog before the evangelization of Igorots who inhabited the town and later became Dumangague during the Spanish colonization in the year 1572 by Captain Juan de Salcedo, a Spanish conquistador colonized the region of Ilocos Sur and founded Vigan as capital of the province.

    Mythical Origin


    Before the evangelization of Igorots inhabiting KAOG (now Santa Lucia, Ilocos Sur), turmoil and chaos usually visit this rich settlement. Although historical accounts are silent on the civilization of these Igorots, it was presumed by early historians that these were uncivilized, tattooed in their faces, their noses and earlobes pierced, clothed in G-strings. It was their usual practice to embark on head-hunting expeditions in the lowlands and seacoast areas. They usually do these once a year in connection with their Tagnawa (sacrifice rituals) to their God or Kabunian, where these select at least the head of a Christian convert as a sacrificing offering. A head is placed in Sakurang (a long light bamboo) and placed in the middle of their village where they dance in merriment to the tune of their primitive music gongs, flutes and cymbals.

    Oral history handed from generation to generation until today claim that these Igorots (Prof. Otley Beyer point to as the original Kankanaeys or Ibalois living in the western foothills of the Cordilleras, are fierce-looking, armed to the teeth with spears, axes, blowguns, kampilans and poisoned arrows. Adept at ambuscades and lightning raids over Christian settlements to the west in the middle of the night in pitch darkness, these Igorots were reported to have inflicted several casualties in the settlement of Kaog. These were the Spanish Peninsulas, friars, and converts.

    When the present town (Sta. Lucia) was evangelized, it was told heavy downpours could be witnessed by inhabitants and with their naked eyes, saw the delicate figure of small beautiful woman carrying over her head an earthen jar (caramba) wending her way to the east following carefully a tiny foot trail leading to the dense forest growth, east below the foothills of the Western Cordilleras. This beautiful woman was ivory white, with silky brown hair spread downwards reaching to her ankles, and much to the surprise of witnesses could never be wet in spite of the strong intermittent rains and fury of the wind. At the sight of the woman, the burikan, (tattooed) Igorots fled to the east for their safety.

    One Local historian during the late Spanish period, Claro Tiburcio Ridad, in an unpublished manuscript claimed that converts in the pueblo of Kaog band themselves together and armed with talunasans, homemade cannons, spears and arrows ran after the marauders. It was said that if the Igorots were taken prisoners, Christians would torture them with barit-barit, a thorny vine, abundant in the settlement of Cabaritan and also leaves (an itchy plant) abundant in Lupa-lupa, a sitio some ten kilometer east.

    It was on January 5, 1586, when the ministry of Santa Lucia was finally established by Augustinian friars, the Image of the Virgin and Martyr Saint Lucy arrived from Mexico and stalled inside the new town church. The people claimed that the image looked like the beautiful woman. It was at this instance that the clergy recommended to the authorities of Spain through ecclesiastical powers in Manila to change the name Kaog and later Dumangague to a new Santa Lucia in honor of the patron saint and celebrated the Feast day every 13th of December.

    Vision-Mission

    VISION

    A BOOMING AGRI-BUSINESS AND SHINING MUNICIPALITY OF DIFFERENCE


    MISSION

    Together we stand to make a difference for a brilliant future! Raniag Sta. Lucia

    We have 35 guests and no members online

    Featured Resort discover Estrella Del Mar

    Image Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consecte adi elit. Phasellus magna ligula eges.
    Read More...

    Featured Industry we got the solution ready for you

    ImageLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consecte adi elit. Phasellus magna ligula eges.
    Read More...

    Featured Scenery experience the sunset

    ImageLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consecte adi elit. Phasellus magna ligula eges.
    Read More...

    Featured Place the municipal hall

    ImageLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consecte adi elit. Phasellus magna ligula eges.
    Read More...