BY: JOYAH MAE C. QUIMOYOG
VIGAN CITY, Jun. 29 (PIA) – – The municipalities of Sinait and Sta. Lucia in Ilocos Sur province were placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) classification for two weeks starting Monday, June 28 to curb the spread of COVID-19, according to Gov. Ryan Luis V. Singson.
In Executive Order No. 56, Singson said the Provincial COVID-19 Task Force recommended the reclassification of the two municipalities from modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) to MECQ until July 12.
MECQ is the second most restrictive quarantine classification in the country.
It imposes stringent limits on movement and transportation of people, strict regulation of operating industries, provision of food and essential services, and heightened presence of uniformed personnel to enforce community quarantine protocols.
Despite the interventions and implementation of measures, Singson said that the threat of COVID-19 in the province remains very high which resulted in local transmission in the said municipalities, full occupancy of isolation facilities, absence of a level three hospital and depletion of health workers in Ilocos Sur.
As of June 28, Sinait and Sta. Lucia has 62 and 28 active cases, respectively.
Meanwhile, Singson also placed the city of Candon and the municipalities of Bantay, Salcedo, San Juan and Santa Cruz under general community quarantine (GCQ) until July 12.
He also extended until July 4 the MECQ in the municipalities of Burgos, Narvacan and Sto. Domingo, which was supposed to be lifted on June 19.
To date, Ilocos Sur has recorded a total of 3,045 cases since the pandemic started last year, 550 of which remain active while 58 are mortalities. (JCR/AMB/JMCQ, PIA Ilocos Sur)